Submit your webOS applications today for the Palm App Catalog e-commerce beta starting in mid-September
Starting today, you can submit your apps via email for consideration in the Palm App Catalog e-commerce beta program.
We’re initiating the beta e-commerce program so we can test the experience for both webOS app developers and users. This is an opportunity for you to submit your app and to market it to the webOS user base before we open the program to all developers later in the year.
All developers can submit both free and paid applications today for evaluation by Palm. Details of the program are the following:
- You can charge a one-time fee for the download of your application.
- Initially, the user base for e-commerce will be limited to the United States.
- Developers will receive 70 percent of revenues generated through application sales (less applicable sales taxes).
- webOS users will pay for their application purchases using credit cards and will download apps directly to their webOS device.
Palm will accept apps into the beta test program based on the following criteria:
- Apps should be useful and engaging to users.
- They need to have an appealing design and user interface aligned with Palm UI guidelines.
- They are written specifically for webOS and not delivered through the browser.
- They leverage webOS platform and device capabilities, for example, notifications, multitasking/background processing, location services, accelerometer.
- They have acceptable performance and response time on the device; apps with slow UI response or sluggish performance will be rejected. Applications that consume excessive power on the device will also be rejected.
How To Submit Apps
Follow these instructions to submit your webOS apps for evaluation to become part of the Palm App Catalog e-commerce beta program:
- Send an email to email@example.com. In the subject of your email put your company followed by the name of your application (e.g. subject: My Company – My Application).
- In the body of your email, include the following:
- Your Palm webOSDev user name.
- Whether the app will be free or paid; if paid, indicate the price (minimum of US $0.99).
- A description of your application.
- Attach the application package (.ipk file). If you’re going to send us a set of files in .ZIP format, please note that our firewall will delete the attachment unless you rename the file to use “.plmo.zip” as the attachment’s suffix.
- Send a separate email for each application.
- Test your application. Be sure to put them through your own QA process, assure that they are optimized for performance, and reviewed for compliance with the Palm User Interface Guidelines as well as the Palm Application Checklist.
- Consult Top Tips For Developing Great webOS App UIs as well as Performance Optimization tips.
- Check that your app and app submission are complete; incomplete apps and app submissions will not be considered.
If your application is selected for the beta e-commerce test, Palm will notify you via email and provide additional instructions.
Follow webOSdev for more information as soon as it is released!