A statement on the “overclocking” patches

21 BY devrel

We have had a number of questions about the recently released “overclocking” patches and what Palm’s position on them are.

Palm is working hard to improve the speed and performance of webOS, as shown in our recent 1.4 update. While we appreciate the effort the webOS community has put forth to try and help us along that path, the use of this application is neither endorsed nor recommended by Palm and will likely result in a voided warranty. Palm encourages webOS users to let Palm release official updates that provide safe, reliable, over-the-air features that improve their device in a number of areas, as we have in the past at a rate of approximately once per month.

Comments (21)

1. Pingback: [B]Optimized WebOS 1.4 Kernel Video/WOSQI 720Mhz/800 MHz Easy Install. [/B] - Page 72 - PreCentral Forums

2. orizzle says:

webos performaced was hardly increased with 1.4…. This was by far the most bug riddled update so far. Nice try thu.

3. Pingback: Palm on overclocking: we don’t recommend it | TechBlogs Today

4. Jeff says:

This is disturbing on a few fronts. First, because you’ve released this statement, it’s clear that Palm has knowledge that the hardware cannot reliably work at these higher speeds.

Second, this is a statement that Palm will be denying warranty claims due to SOFTWARE. It’s rarely appropriate for a hardware vendor to deny a warranty claim due to software. Are you sure that Palm really wants to take the unusual step of denying a warranty claim due to software that a customer put on their device?

Third, it is untrue that Palm has succeeded in improving overall performance. In fact, I find my Pre @ WebOS 1.4 to be no faster than my stock launch-week Pre. The only exception is the calendar, which runs faster but still runs at an unacceptable speed. On the flip side, battery life has gotten WORSE.

If these patches are dangerous, then Palm is to blame for hardware which destroys itself when certain software is installed.

With the recent pessimism in the media and on Wall Street for Palm, I’d think that Palm do whatever they could (given limited resources) to take care of their customers.

While I appreciate the concern, Chuq, you need to understand that Palm hasn’t succeeded in fixing serious issues with the Pre/Pixi.

If I were in your shoes, I’d reach out the development community, including those that has developed these “overclocking” patches, and invite them to contribute to sanctioned patches. This would lead to happier customers and to attracting new customers. At this point, you cannot afford to have customers ditching their WebOS devices because Palm hasn’t done a good enough job at producing acceptable battery life or speed, much less fixing the mountains of bugs.

5. Michael says:

A poster said, “…Palm will be denying warranty claims due to SOFTWARE.” Is that really true though? Or is Palm indicating that using their hardware at clock speeds that high could lead to hardware damage of some sort (perhaps from overheating) that could void the warranty? I’m not expert in this area, but it seemed like a possible way to interpret things.

6. Michael says:

I happen to work in the support field (not for any phone company though). Another possibility that occurs to me is that Palm simply hasn’t done much performance testing at those clock speeds and doesn’t know what the results of what continued use would be. If so, Palm would be taking care of their customers by warning them not to use this software. After all, they have their own systems in place to post changes, test them properly, and then release them.

7. Tam Hanna says:

Hi,
    usually I dont talk back on Palmary things anymore. But today, I will.

This is what I hate about you boys in orange. Why dont you simply say that: folks, if you overclock your Pre, it’ll be toast in X minutes.

This would make sense! But this statement will disappear in no time…

All the best
    Tam Hanna

8. Pingback: Palm isn’t hot on Pre overclocking | TechDaring – Latest Technology News

9. Ken says:

webOS is a great OS but up until this patch I dreaded how slow the Pre was. Honestly, I’m pretty upset with Palm basically saying if you patch your phone so it works at a speed you’d expect from it, it’s may void your warranty. So please, don’t install the patch and continue dreading how slow your Pre is. Please keep on telling your friends that ask “how’s the pre?”, “it’s slow!”.

10. Pingback: Palm Warns Users Against Overclocking Patches

11. Jeff says:

Chuq, no response to these comments? I realize that this might be a case of “we’ve made an official statement and that’s all we’re going to say.” But how about addressing the fact that the Pre really is slow? How about about how we listened to what you said (“Palm encourages webOS users to let Palm release official updates”), but we find that yesterday’s 1.4.1.1 release didn’t give us any speed improvements. If anything, I’m finding my Pre slower. How about addressing whether or not Palm has reason to believe that SOFTWARE could harm the Pre to the point that a warranty void is appropriate? How about addressing what Palm is doing to ensure that SOFTWARE cannot physically harm the device?

You can’t make an “official statement” and then run away and hide from the truth.

12. Pingback: Palm’s Need For Speed — Overclocking Patent | webOSroundup

13. Ka-Efka says:

To anyone who is troubled that just by using a specific SOFTWARE (why do you write this in capitals anyway) can harm the device: Yes, indeed! O/c these days almost exclusively works thru software. And by overclocing you are using the device beyond the specification (maybe not of the processor itself, but thats not the point). And using the device beyond specification will void your warranty. Its as simple as that! And @ Tam: the statement you are requesting is just imposible…

14. Jake says:

“How about addressing whether or not Palm has reason to believe that SOFTWARE could harm the Pre to the point that a warranty void is appropriate?”

Jeff, overclocking can easily destroy a system if it’s not done exactly right – just ask anyone who has fried a graphics card on their computer by overclocking it too much. The interesting part is that it can look like it’s doing just fine, right up until something puts a higher load on the system than you allowed for. Then *poof*. Your awsome overclocked system is just a brick. I know more than one person this has happened to.

As far as other companies doing it, I believe most graphics card makers will void the warranty if they find out you’ve overclocked the card. This move makes sense for Palm (they could work with the patch developer to help make sure it’s safe, though if they were already working on their own overclocking that would be redundant).

15. Jeff says:

Jake and Ka-Efka:

Chuq, I’m going to ask one more time: please address the issues raised here. Your silence is not appreciated.

16. Ka-Efka says:

‘Software alone (I put in caps to emphasize) is not supposed to physically harm hardware. When software causes hardware to permanently fail, then there is hardware design flaw.’

Well, all hardware is controlled by software. That’s how a ‘computing device’ works. Not that I do not like your idea, it just does not work in reality.

17. future Droid owner says:

Im so upset with palm over the pre. They dropped the ball from the beginning. If it werent for the development community, this thing would be nothing more than a smart paperweight. I’ve clocked mine up to 800mhz and it is a different animal altogether. The thing actually runs well. Also, all of the patches in preware are great. Why cant palm write these patches and make the phone what its supposed to be, a smart phone. If Palm doesnt come out with some stellar announcement about the pre, I am going with the new samsung droid phone coming to sprint this summer. I had treos from the 600 series on and now a pre. Palm has basically kicked me to the curb with the pre.

18. Jon B says:

Why would Palm release a product with such a slow CPU? The product manager should be fired!