Making the Transition to webOS 2.0 and Beyond

33 BY devrel

Even with all the exciting news from this week, a lot of questions have been floating around about our plans and how they affect you and our customers. As such, we recognize that we need to do a better job communicating developments in a more timely, detailed and thoughtful way.

For now, we want to address the webOS 2.0 update in particular and what resources we’ll provide to make this transition easier for everyone.

webOS 2.0 Availability

First off, the decision not to release webOS 2.0 for the Pre and Pixi was incredibly tough, knowing that we couldn’t deliver the latest and greatest to people that supported webOS from the very beginning. But, it was a decision that had to be made and we hope our plans for the next generation of webOS will provide the best platform for everyone moving forward. Here are some additional thoughts for your reference.

Supporting the transition to webOS 2.0 and beyond

With the exciting announcement of HP’s all-new Veer, Pre 3 and game-changing TouchPad, we want to give you the resources you need to develop apps for webOS 2.0 and beyond:

• Extending our free Pre 2 program for qualified developers: Contact us at devmarketing@palm.com – we want to help you test your app on the latest devices.
  • Redoubling our resources to support developers: We are actively expanding resources to help you develop for webOS, from how we handle email support via pdc@palm.com to a dedicated team that’s better equipped to help you every step of the way.
  • New incentives and promotions: We’ll share more details about how we intend to reward your efforts and support of webOS.

It’s a start. We want to provide the resources you need and deserve every step of the way, whatever it takes. There’s a lot of buzz around the new webOS devices and the future of the platform, which offer a great opportunity for your apps now and in the future. HP is going to provide the strongest support and promotion webOS has ever had – and it all starts with you. Stay tuned!

Comments (33)

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Making the Transition to webOS 2.0 and Beyond | Palm Developer Center Blog -- Topsy.com

2. Danny says:

So, if you’re not releasing 2.0 for legacy devices will there be something like 1.5.0? 1.4.5 is horribly buggy: PDF-Reader is broken, European App Catalog is broken, the FSTAB-Bug and many more. If these issues were fixed it wouldn’t be so annoying to wait for new devices.

3. Joe says:

“First off, the decision not to release webOS 2.0 for the Pre and Pixi was incredibly tough, knowing that we couldn’t deliver the latest and greatest to people that supported webOS from the very beginning.”

This incredibly shortsighted decision has cost you a customer for life.

I hope that all of the developers reading this blog understand that the WebOS userbase is rapidly approaching zero. Ask HP how many active profiles there are. Do you trust HP to rebuild an entire community? I give them 2 years before they abandon the smartphone market just like they did before. Ask an iPAQ user. Look at what they did to their camera and calculator divisions.

4. Joe says:

This incredibly shortsighted decision has cost you a customer for life.

I hope that all of the developers reading this blog understand that the WebOS userbase is rapidly approaching zero. Ask them how many active profiles there are. Do you trust HP to rebuild an entire community? I give them 2 years before they abandon the Smartphone market just like they did last time. Ask an iPAQ user. Look at what they did to their camera and calculator divisions.

5. Joe says:

This incredibly shortsighted decision has cost you a customer for life.

I hope that all of the developers reading this blog understand that the WebOS userbase is rapidly approaching zero. Ask them how many active profiles there are. Do you trust HP to rebuild an entire community? Who are you going to sell to? I give them 2 years before they abandon the Smartphone market just like they did before. Ask an iPAQ user. Look at what they did to their camera and calculator divisions. Run.

6. Ashley says:

If you’re not going to release 2.0, can you at least filter 2.0 apps out of the catalog lest some poor soul think they’re actually getting an update? Or better yet, release 1.5.0 so we can have media and mic APIs? AT&T still sells this phone – this phone for which Shazam is impossible, Koto is impossible officially, Voices/Voice Memos is impossible…it goes on.

7. ScottMGS says:

What does it take to be a “qualified developer”? Is the program open only to those planning or actively working on Mojo apps? Enyo apps? Would someone have to have a record of successful releases?

This all sounds very exciting.

Thanks.

8. Cody says:

Yes, please tell us what you mean by “qualified”.

I’m very excited—- and yet slightly disappointed as I feel that the existing customers who have waited so long with their old hardware are being treated poorly.

9. KR says:

Agree with Danny. Generally, I could very well live with running webOS 1.x on my Palm Pre, but at the moment knowing there aren’t even fixes to considerable security flaws like the code injection problem discovered a while ago (see [1]) is next to unacceptable. So, should we webOS 1.x users consider our platform abandoned and unmaintained now, even with regards to security issues?

[1]http://www.darkreading.com/vulnerability-management/167901026/security/application-security/228300479/researchers-uncover-holes-in-webos-smartphones.html

10. Alex says:

If Pre and Pixi users were given a sign that the most annoying bugs in 1.4.5 will be fixed and maybe some little features like e.g. upnp/dlna support the wave would not have been so big. Leaving early webos adopters in the cold isn’t the best way you can imagine.

11. This is all well and good but we won’t see anything webOS 2.0 until June or May at the earliest. Three or four months is a long time in Technology Years and a lot of our Pre Minuses are getting awfully long on the tooth. One of the reasons why so many people were disappointed with the lack of a webOS 2.0 upgrade was because of Palm and HP’s own promises to provide one “in the coming months.”

I second the notion that a webOS 1.5 upgrade including bug-fixes and improved API access (I’m getting pretty tired of not having access to apps like Shazam and Shop Savvy) would be welcome by the community and would serve to mollify the hurt feelings of many long-time Pre and Pixi users and developers. While this option would require resources, HP does claim that it wants to “make things right.” Whether that comes in the form of a software upgrade or in the form of a break in the price of new devices is less important than whether or not HP keeps its promise to its long time users. Customer loyalty is difficult to earn and easy to lose and HP can either choose to alienate a lot of people or win them over for good with the way they handle this problem.

12. KR says:

Seems my initial comment got lost all along the lines, so another try: I completely have to agree with Danny. When I, in example, read about the Code Injection issue in Contacts app ( http://www.darkreading.com/vulnerability-management/167901026/security/application-security/228300479/researchers-uncover-holes-in-webos-smartphones.html ), I was literally checking my OTA update app twice a day to see whether there finally is some fix. Unfortunately, there never was one, and it kept on being just like that to date.

I thoroughly can understand the rationale behind not updating “old”(?) devices to webOS 2.0 or later, both in terms of limited hardware on these machines as well as in terms of OTA technologies and not being able to struggling with legacy technology all over the way when innovation needs to happen. However, at the very least, providing bug fixes and security updates(!) for an existing platform is something an end user (paying customer) should not be required to explicitely _request_. Before buying my Pre, I went with a K800i for a bunch of years without ever installing a software update, but also without learning much about security issues. Now, talking about smart phones and the devices being more of “computers” than of your fathers good old phone, the same things should apply as they apply to desktop or server software: Keep a platform “supported” by providing updates and, well, support for it, or EOL it, claiming there will be no more updates, no more support for the platform. So, HP/Palm, at the very least, honesty would be good. Please declare webOS 1.x EOL and a platform to not recieve support in near future, anymore, so end users at the very least know where they stand.

13. Tim says:

Most of the really angry users have been eqjally whinng for new hardware. I don’t think most would have a problem with thiis except there isn’t any new hardware to buy! I’m not a sprint user, but now that sprint has this “use it or lose it” upgrade deadline, you stand to kill of what was your most loyal and longsuffeeing user base. Sprint should wave that dealdline, and cowboy up with hp to publicly state that there will be a webos phone in Q2 and that current users will get is for little or no cost with renewal. Seems obvious to me.

14. Eran says:

“the decision not to release webOS 2.0 for the Pre and Pixi was incredibly tough… But, it was a decision that had to be made and we hope our plans for the next generation of webOS will provide the best platform for everyone moving forward.”

This is fantastically short-sighted. I wanted to support Palm, to diversify the smartphone market, and I went with Palm because I loved my first smartphone, the Treo 650.

But, as someone else already said (see Comment #2), this incredibly shortsighted decision has cost you a customer for life.

How can I trust You not to keep short-changing the very people who opted to support You early, and to wait through crippling bugs which, we were told, would be fixed at the next big upgrade?

And now this. No upgrade. Ever. Unless You buy our newer device.

This isn’t competing with the iPhone. This is imitating Apple’s “screw the addicted customer” marketing approach, except without providing the addictive experience.

Bad, bad move. At the very least, offer to provide Web2.0 compliant devices to customers who supported You by knowingly getting devices that weren’t quite ready. This is a poor way to reward the early adopters, and bodes ill for the company.

15. Khan Saheb says:

I do not understand how you can make decisions like this and expect to retain users through their cell phone upgrade cycles. Cell phone companies make consumers sign 2 year contracts for smartphones in US market, at least you can take that into consideration when making business decisions. Not only are WebOS 2.0 devices available on most carriers for users who are going to upgrade, you are discontinuing support for users that might be willing to wait for the release of next gen phones. I have a Sprint Palm Pre which is relegated to just making calls and receiving text messages now. I have purchased a 4G iPod and have been using that for all the apps and games. You cannot expect me to wait around for Pre 3 with my WebOS 1.4.5 Pre even after my contract is up and hope it will be available on Sprint. I am definitely going to give Windows Phone 7 a shot after my contract is up

16. Toby says:

As one of the early adopters of the pre this makes me pretty untrusting of hp/palm. First I read excuses of it being difficult to port to older hardware. However I see many have ported 2.1 patches using open source programs. So obviously it isn’t really a technical issue. Now your excuse is to focus on new hardware that won’t be available for months and developing new applications. I can get behind development that’s good for everyone in the long run. However continuous excuses make me hesitant to trust that you won’t abandon the next generation just as quickly.

17. Former WebOS fan? says:

Not fixing your buggy code on 1.45 will do nothing but convince me that you are not looking to maintain a customer base. I develop programs for fun first, but there is that added benefit of being paid. I can’t be paid if you run the last few diehard fans of this platform (and a great platform it is) away.

Fix what you broke at least, and provide security updates. Keep those people that have discovered this platform happy, keep them wanting the updates because you treated them fairly.

I hope I am wrong, I love developing for WebOS, I hope you can market a new buzz – but you have to admit that you are going into this as the underdog. Don’t alienate people that are current devotees (they are just too good of a source of free advertising for you – and thus, me).

18. Greg says:

I was having a hard time deciding whether to go to iPhone or not, well that takes care of that. I will hold on to my Pre Plus, which is 6 months old, as a spare phone, and to iPhone I go.

19. Joey says:

I’m new to webOS, migrating in a round-about fashion from iOS and Android, and it seems to me that the last thing this platform needs to do is lose any more users. The market is dead, the online communities are dwindling and I hardly see anyone carrying Pres or Pixies these days.

Mindful of that it seems awfully shortsighted to dead-end 99% of all existing devices. This is especially true when there aren’t even new devices to replace them yet. I know we need to move forward and the old hardware is holding things back but getting snubbed for updates is what turned me off to Android and there’s no way I’m going to deal with it here. I’ll just move back to iOS.

20. Blah says:

You guys are doing two BIG mistakes!

I’m sorry, but I do not understand the ‘logic’ behind that decision. The Pre Plus and the Pre are NO legacy devices! You don’t have newer devices on the market (at least not in Germany). I personally don’t know anyone with a newer HP/Palm device than the Pre ‘minus’. You simply abandon many (if not most) of your customers. I’m a developer so I know, what you are going to sell in the future but I bet the average customer doesn’t. I don’t see any reason in dropping the de facto current devices for some new ones ‘coming in the next months’ which means for Germany: ‘maybe coming in one year or never’! Please keep that in mind!

You still can change that decision and you should. You have to have sold more new devices BEFORE you can drop the old ones. It’s that simple.

In addition to that: YOUR DEVICES ARE GREAT!!! They have been great since the Palm Pilot (except that Windows Mobile episode maybe). You do not have to concentrate on making them better because they are great from the ground up! You have to concentrate on selling them!

You have done mistakes like this several times in the past. You always went broke after that.

I love Palm/HP and I will continue buying your devices (well – if you keep selling them of course). But I’m very afraid that I won’t be able to do that in the coming years.

21. I’m one of those rapidly disappearing people, a Palm Pre user in the UK on the O2 network. Not only have they stopped making (now HP) Pre available here it seems nobody else is either! I was a PalmPilot user (and later Handspring) and waited semi-patiently for the release date for the Pre having promoted the new WebOS to everyone with all that it offered for users and developers. But it seems that non-US users are being bypassed, and even though the box itself is general purpose (let’s face it, go in with SSH and you’ll see a linux box) we early adopters and promoters are being ignored when it is coming to upgrading the software – something that initially was one of the major selling points! I DON’T want an iPhone. i DON’T want something running Android. I DO want a WebOS phone that let’s me do things my way and doesn’t require me to but new hardware every time there is some little tweak. We live in a software world now.

22. Matt says:

How can you people from Palm people always make the wrong choice ?
    After an awful promotional and marketing strategy, some people still believe in your product and make efforts to support it, promote it, develop for it, and you just let them down for newcomers who probably won’t even be coming, given the actual situation ? Way to show your gratitude. Thank you so much. We won’t forget it either.

23. Josh says:

The decision not to release webOS 2.0 for the Pre and Pixi is very very disappointing. This wont give any confidence to dev and users if we are not able to deliver OS updates to old hardware. If it was 5- 6 yrs later i can agree but for somehting which is failry new this is not making any sense.

24. alkyata says:

Creo que la decisión de no actualizar los Pre a la 2.0 ni dar tampoco ningún tipo de soporte va a hacer perder muchos seguidores hasta ahora comprometidos con Palm, y que realmente creían en ellos.

Creo que es una decisión erronea, impopular y que tendrá un alto coste en clientes hasta ahora fieles e incondicionales.

Suerte a HP, con un usuario menos

25. Steven says:

An awful lot of words to say nothing very much (again) there. Less talk of “making things right,” in the “coming months,” and more details…

“We’ll share more details about how we intend to reward your efforts and support of webOS.”

Well, WHEN!? Yet again you’re leaving your customers hanging in the vain hope you’re actually going to deliver on something for once.

26. Jens Schmidt says:

As one of your unhappy first webos customers I will watch how you’re going to treat those who jump onto the new devices (if there are any, considering that those who were most likely to do so will be very careful after being declared unworthy after just one year).
    If you survive long enough (two years) and give the webos 2 customers more than 6 months supdate support (which os e customers in Europe effectively got) there’s a small chance I’ll jump onto webos again – but then, maybe those Android people give me no reason to do so.

good luck

27. Magued Noureldin says:

[the decision not to release webOS 2.0 for the Pre and Pixi was incredibly tough, knowing that we couldn’t deliver the latest and greatest to people that supported webOS from the very beginning].
    My only advice to your decision makers is to read :The Shepherd Boy and the Wolf.
    I have no more to say , if you lie to your customer once, it become a habit..??? Can you convince me that you are going to support the Pre2 and The Pre3 with any upgrade…??? You are loosing the PALM lovers…..Shame on you HP.

28. mark says:

Where would i get the final word from sprint that webOS 2.0 is not coming to my Legacy Pre? I might update it to 2.0 myself using the early access doctors if i knew for sure that sprint won’t be releasing an update. the update website shows something to the effect of “we are still working with carriers…”

29. HRPufnstuf says:

Search for something besides name and company in Contacts? Won’t do it.
    Search for something inside Tasks? Won’t do it.
    Search for ANYTHING in the Calendar? TOTALLY UNAVAILABLE! The Calendar, for God’s sakes!
    “Universal Search” on the Pre is a joke, and a lie.
    And for all my complaints since it came out and I made the “mistake” of upgrading from my real Palm, all I’ve heard is “be patient, that’s all coming.”
    Yeah, right. IF it comes, it’s now painfully clear that it’s not coming to my Pre.
    Thanks, Palm, and now HP. You disappointed me, and you lied.
    Had my first experience trying to recover some lost information, by restoring a backup. Can’t be done over the air, they tell me. Sent me to a Sprint store, but with no technicians, who sent me to another store, where the technician said he didn’t know how, didn’t have access, and didn’t have the equipment anyway. Tried to send me to the corporate store, 20 miles away.
    Sorry, I’ll go to a competitor’s store this week, and buy ANYTHING but a Palm or HP device. After almost 15 years of owning Palms, all the way back to the original Palm Pilot.
    You folks should be ashamed.

30. Jones says:

“First off, the decision not to release webOS 2.0 for the Pre and Pixi was incredibly tough, [...]”

So could you please improve at least the buggy and slow 1.4.5 platform?

I’m a student, bought a Pixi Plus last year and looked forward to the 2.0 update for performance reasons.

I’m really disappointed guys!

31. Doctor I.T says:

I’m fed up with every other mobile device on the market today, that is why I bought a Pre & am very happy with it so far.

That said, if there is no update or 2.0 availability for the Pre I’m moving to another brand of smartphone & may go back to Sony Ericsson which is where I came from.

I don’t believe that HP care about the existing customer base, & want to be like Apple that come out with a “New” device every year with one new feature that the customer has to pay an arm & a leg for to get it.

It really is a shame that HP could not care less about us, if they got the money that we paid Palm for our devices then maybe it would be a different story but who knows if that’s true normally its about how much money they can make off us & we’ve already paid so we are of no use to HP its the new customers turn.

32. Roshan says:

Yea, you just lost another loyal webOS fan. My next one is going to be an android without doubt.

I give webOS another 2-3 years to live and that too a crippled existence. After that it will die completely or will live in some form which it wasnt orginally intended to live in.