[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fragmentation Is Discouraging For Developers (thisismynext)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:29 pm 

In the interview with "This Is My Next" (http://thisismynext.com/2011/07/14/dewi ... exclusive/) , Jon Rubinstein said:
Quote:
TIMN: Okay, let’s move on. You have a new smartphone coming, I know you have printers and other stuff, but you’ve got the Pre 3 coming. It’s running a different version of webOS than the tablet. There are pretty major differences between those OSs. You’re encouraging people to develop for webOS 3. Is this going to hurt the Pre 3? A device running an older version of the OS? Do you expect to get them to parity quickly? What is the phone outlook?

Jon: I wouldn’t say it’s an older OS. It’s certainly a different OS. We didn’t want to do a tablet where we just took the phone OS and scaled it up. We talked about this before. We went back to the drawing board and said ‘how do we take webOS and deliver that elegant experience but optimize for the larger form factor,’ and because of that we had to split the effort. You can assume that sometime in the future will converge again, but not anytime soon. So you’re right, the Pre 3 has a different version of the OS. It runs phone optimized applications, it’s not going to run the tablet apps. That’s how it works on every other phone that’s out there.

TIMN: But you’re still encouraging developers to code apps for the Pre 3′s OS?

Jon: Absolutely, and we’ll do something in the future that will make that easier for developers, but we’re not going to talk about that now.

TIMN: Will they hit parity soon though? Before the end of the year?

Jon: We’re not giving any timeline on that.

TIMN: But it will happen?

Jon: No, I haven’t even said it’s going to happen. I chose my words very carefully. Sometime in the future we will re-converge these, but right now that’s not the plan.

That is, the outgoing head of HP/Palm explicitly declined to commit to end the fragmentation between webOS 2 and webOS 3 in 2011.

HP/Palm previously announced that devices released after 2011 would not include Mojo.

Thus, apps targeting the Pre 3 would appear to have a lifetime of about four months. That's not much time for return on investment.

That is, unless you go to a third-party framework not supported by HP/WGBU.

So, HP's message to consumers is "webOS will unify your data", but HP's message to developers is "You need to write two different versions of your apps this year". So, there's a strong incentive for developers to go elsewhere, and maybe take a look again next year.

Zap Photoshare: http://hominidsoftware.com/
PopupCalc: http://hominidsoftware.com/popupcalc/index.html

Post subject: Re: Fragmentation Is Discouraging For Developers (thisismynext)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:27 am 

Hey, HP is a computer company, not a phone company. My guess is, that it's all about the TouchPad these days.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:50 pm 

hamandel wrote:
Hey, HP is a computer company, not a phone company. My guess is, that it's all about the TouchPad these days.

+1 The HP of today has proven to be very good at manufacturing, marketing, distributing and selling high volume, competitively priced, commodity products.

To be on-topic, I agree, HP now seems to be speaking out of both sides of its mouth with respect to ENYO support for current generation (Pre 2, Veer and Pre 3) handsets. We'll see whether there is an attempt to clarify the message because I was at the February event and have seen posts from HP employees in these forums that were very explicit in saying ENYO was the toolkit to use for all devices except the original Pre and Pixi and their "Plus" variants.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:34 pm 

I was at the February event as well, and McNulty actually demoed a simple Enyo app built once, working on the Touchpad, Pre 3, and Veer. This is pretty much the vision that got developers REALLY excited for webOS 3.0, and I'm really hoping they don't back down from it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

hamandel wrote:

That's actually not true, but the reality is the last few months we've been almost entirely focused on finishing Enyo and getting the TouchPad launched, so it might seem this way. Now that those milestones are passed, we're putting more energy into the other aspects of the product line as well.

So perhaps it's fair to say that for the last few months this has been true, but expecting that to be true moving forward because of it isn't.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:27 pm 

Not great to hear that there are no plans to make Enyo apps available on the Pre 3 anytime soon.

But, this was Rubinstein talking, so plans could change pretty quick if the new man in charge wants it otherwise. Lets hope DeWitt thinks having a unified platform should be a priority.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:03 pm 

DougReeder wrote:
That is, the outgoing head of HP/Palm explicitly declined to commit to end the fragmentation between webOS 2 and webOS 3 in 2011.

HP/Palm previously announced that devices released after 2011 would not include Mojo.

Thus, apps targeting the Pre 3 would appear to have a lifetime of about four months. That's not much time for return on investment.

That is, unless you go to a third-party framework not supported by HP/WGBU.

So, HP's message to consumers is "webOS will unify your data", but HP's message to developers is "You need to write two different versions of your apps this year". So, there's a strong incentive for developers to go elsewhere, and maybe take a look again next year.

You know what i thought about his comments, and i made a decision, it's simple, just ignore it, Rubenstein got no Authority in WebOS no more and it goes to DeWitt, so there for his comments got no meaning at all, until DeWitt make it clear what direction WebOS is going and so on.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:09 am 

vanadium wrote:
I was at the February event as well, and McNulty actually demoed a simple Enyo app built once, working on the Touchpad, Pre 3, and Veer. This is pretty much the vision that got developers REALLY excited for webOS 3.0, and I'm really hoping they don't back down from it.

I came to and left the February event really jazzed. The strategy's potential is/was a game changer. The version of webOS doesn't matter. HP needs get it together with ENYO across both the handset and tablet product families before Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4) and Blackberry OS 7 ship. At this point, there isn't any margin of error.

[ 8 posts ]