[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Can't find disk image for VirtualBox
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:41 pm 

I had Eclipse/SDK/VirtualBox installed at one time I think, but I messed things up when I tried to move the .VirtualBox directory from under my emacs directory and I haven't gotten it to work since. I've tried to get a clean install by following:
http://developer.palm.com/index.php?opt ... ge&id=1661
as carefully as possible. Also, I no longer seem to have the Novacom driver installed, and I have no PDK\uninstallpdk.exe file in my tree so the documentation must be old?

The problem is that the VirtualBox doesn't seem to have the ISO and the VMDK files in the harddisk area. When I try putting these files (retrieved from another failed attempt where they did magically appear somehow), they don't seem to be recognized as being present, I still get the "no bootable media" error from VirtualBox.

So the questions are:
1) How do the ISO and VMDK files get installed properly in the VirtualBox harddrive area?
2) Do I need the Novacom driver? Where does it come from, who installs it?
TIA!

Post subject: Re: Can't find disk image for VirtualBox
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:57 pm 

Still desperately seeking an answer to this problem. I'm using the latest of everything, VirtualBox 3.2.8 r64453, SDK-1.4.5.465-320x480, Eclipse SDK V3.5.2

I also stumbled across the directory where somebody stashed an ISO/VMDK file, it's under yet another directory (c:\files\.VirtualBox) that was never the definition of HOME.

The VirtualBox also seems to think that the VMDK image is under the original directory (emacs) which is where HOME pointed when I first installed it. So I copied the .VirtualBox directory to the emacs directory, but it also seems to want it under the VirtualBox directory so I copied it there too.

Now when I start it up, it says "Undefined video mode number: 360 and asks me to choose a mode (something I've seen before). If I don't chose, it crashes with a segfault. If I choose 'f' mode 310 (640x480), it starts up and I can actually run something from Eclipse, but the screen is too big, and the colors are distorted.

Somebody out there must know what minor thing I've neglected...
TIA!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:37 pm 

The Novacom driver should have been installed by the SDK. I believe the driver is different depending on the SDK version, because I think I have seen it install a new one with each new SDK version I have installed.

You should be able to add them to the virtual media under hard disks and virtual media respectively. Then you can select them in your virtual machine. If you open the virtual media manager file menu, you can work with both the hard drive images an cd images at the same time. On the hard disk tab, click add, and you can browse for the vmdk file for your hard disk. Then do the same thing from the cd/dvd images tab and locate the iso for your cd as shown in the screen shot below.

Video mode should be 320x480 for Pre, 320x400 for Pixi. If those are not available, you are going to have to reinstall the virtual machine by running the palm-emulator script. Hopefully you won't have to uninstall and reinstall everything.

One other thing, and hopefully someone else can chime in.. at one time there was a version restriction on Virtual Box, where the newest version could not be used. Not sure if that is still the case, because I am still running version 3.1.6 on my laptop.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:36 pm 

Thanks for your reply! I tried a complete uninstall/reinstall following carefully the steps in:
and it still doesn't work. I didn't even install Eclipse.

I've tried pointing VB at an old VMDK file when it's there someplace (and I have no idea what produces that file, it seems to just magically appear at some point in some random place), but that's when it comes up without the Pre video mode available (as I said before).

However, after following the steps closely (and deleting all the .VirtualBox directories), the VMDK and ISO files are nowhere to be found. If I start VB, it can't find any bootable media.

After installing the SDK, is there some step that I've missed that needs to be run to provoke the SDK into producing the VMDK and ISO files in the proper format?

Woops! I just found the newly-created .VirtualBox with the ISO/VMDK images under my C:\exe area, why it got put there or when I have no idea. But the VB program wants to find it under my C:\emacs area, so there's one under there too, but the latter has no VMDK image. So when I point the VB storage pointer over to the VDI file under the C:\exe area which has the VMDK/ISO file, it still says no bootable media found. If I point it to the VMDK file there, when I try to start VB, it hangs in the virtual box window and says [Running] but nothing ever displays. If I cut/paste the .VirtualBox area from my emacs area to the exe area and try to recreate a new virtual machine, it is still looking for the path to emacs.

It appears that the SDK is creating the .VirtualDBox area under one directory, and VB is looking for it under another directory and I can't convince either to use the other directory, and moving the file from one place to another doesn't work.

Help! Somebody must know what's going on.

Last edited by paulkinzelman on Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:43 pm 

Did you run the script palm-emulator (.sh or .bat depending on platform, not sure for Mac) after you re-installed the SDK? That script creates and installs the virtual machine into VirtualBox. It uses VirtualBox APIs, which is why the version is important.

Post subject: Re: Can't find disk image for VirtualBox - need docs fixed
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:35 pm 

Success! Well, moderate anyway. :-)

In parallel with your posting, I discovered just by flailing around, if I double-click on the
Desktop\Palm webOS SDK\Palm Emulator
link, it actually creates the proper file and it works! But the disk image is STILL under the area it wants (my emacs area) instead of an area that makes sense. After all this loss of time, I think I'll just leave it there even though it's in a place that doesn't make sense.

Silly me. In following the directions, item 4.1 says to "Start the Palm Emulator". I thought that meant starting the VirtualBox program using its icon. The documentation didn't say to run the script down in the SDK tree to start the emulator. And NOW it will start properly by double-clicking the VirtualBox icon.

Whoever is in charge of the documentation could have saved me hours and hours and about 10 uninstall/install cycles to find this out. Please update the documentation on this important point so others won't burn a lot of wasted time.

Also please update it as to how to get it to put the disk image files where I want to put them, rather than where it wants to put them. I suspect it has to do with some environment variable, perhaps 'HOME'.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:46 pm 

So the steps seem to be:

1) Follow this to install the basic SDK/emulator environment
And when the writeup says "Start the Palm Emulator", use the Desktop\Palm webOS SDK\Palm Emulator script the first time. Don't use the VirtualBox emulator icon. But after the first time, you can use the icon.

2) Follow this to install the Eclipse/Aptana environment:
https://developer.palm.com/index.php?op ... thePlugIns
Note in another of my postings a few areas in which this writeup is incorrect and should be improved:
https://developer.palm.com/distribution ... 138#p41138

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:43 pm 

I figured out this last issue so I edited my posting...

It looks like the emulator .VirtualBox image gets put wherever your system environment variable "HOME" points. Unfortunately, that's the same one that emacs uses. So if you change the value of HOME, you'll have to regenerate the virtualbox image using the 'Palm Emulator' script. Then it'll work.

I still haven't seen the HOME environment variable documented anywhere, that'd be good to add to the documentation as well.

[ 8 posts ]