[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: App installation fails
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:18 pm 

Hello,

a lot of people who try to install my application (See Minimap in official app catalog) are complaining that they can't install it. I tried it myself and they are right. The IPK file which I submitted to palm installs fine but it's not possible to install it via the app catalog. But according to the reviews other people were able to do so, this sounds strange.

I watched the logfile during installation and Palm is so nice to print all the commands in there it executes for installing the file. So I repeated these commands and ended up with this error message:

# ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps -force-overwrite install /media/internal/downloads/de.ailis.minimap_1.0.4_all.ipk
Begin installation of de.ailis.minimap
Installing de.ailis.minimap (1.0.4) to root...
Nothing to be done
Collected errors:
Package de.ailis.minimap md5sum mismatch. Either the ipkg or the package index are corrupt. Try 'ipkg update'.

What the heck could have gone wrong in this app submission? And how can I fix this?

Post subject: Re: App installation fails
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think that's your problem, I think it's a problem on our server. I've filed a bug on this to have engineering take a look.

chuq

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:09 pm 

webOSdev wrote:
I don't think that's your problem, I think it's a problem on our server. I've filed a bug on this to have engineering take a look.
chuq

Ok, thanks.

I'd suggest also fixing this in the app catalog program. When an app can't be installed it should print some error message like "Installation failed because of a checksum error, please contact Palm". The current behavior is this:

1. User clicks on "Install".
2. The app is downloaded
3. The status says "Installing"
4. A notification says that the app was installed.
5. Status stays at "installing" forever.
6. App icon is created but is marked as still downloading.
7. User cant start the app, user cant reinstall it, user has first to delete the incomplete app to be able to try again.

This behavior is absolutely unacceptable. I got MANY zero-star reviews because of this because the people don't understand that this is a server problem and not a badly written application with a buggy installation routine.

The homebrew installer "Preware" handles this much more gracefully. It displays an error message and even provides the user with the actual IPKG output from the installation log. This isn't really helpful for normal users but if these users can at least forward such error messages to the app author then the app author can see what's going on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:46 pm 

Kayahr,

I installed your app on a Pre (1.3.5) in the US (on Sprint) no problem.

Nice app.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:40 pm 

Kayahr, was this resolved? I am having the same issue with one of my apps.

Thanks!

Pack 'n' Track, YouView, TripThat, Jewels, Metrix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:06 am 

Arcticus wrote:
Kayahr, was this resolved? I am having the same issue with one of my apps.

Thanks!

I fixed it myself by submitting a trivial update. I think this triggered a re-packaging of the app (Looks like Palm repackages the submitted IPK files to include cryptographic signatures) and maybe this time the error did not occur on the server. After this update made it into to catalog I was able to install it and some people who gave me 0 star reviews because they couldn't install the old version now gave me 4-5 stars and said that installation now works. But who knows, maybe now it is broken for others who were able to install the old version...

This is really annoying. I could understand if an app could not be installed ANYWHERE. This could be caused by a bad checksum calculation on the Palm servers or something like that. But I don't understand how it is possible that an app can be installed on some phones but not on others.

But I have no access to any useful information. Maybe my app failed on all 1.3.5.2 firmwares and worked with the older 1.3.5 (which It think is still used in US)...

[ 6 posts ]