[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: sqlite on webOS is unreliable
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:27 pm 

HI!

Has anyone else noticed database corruptions or other "strange" things happen to their sql databases?

For example, we have NOT NULL constraints on most columns in our database. Yet, we have seen databases from users, where there were NULLs in those columns! How is that possible? Then, when the rows are updated, sqlite throws a constraint error.

Also, we had at least one case, where a complete table was suddenly missing.

Please see also here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6546

Unfortunately, we never had such problems with the databases on our phones or emulators. So, we cannot reproduce it. We only see it, when users report a problem.

We are using "ext:" prefix to put the database on the media partition. Maybe that is the problem? FAT32 filesystem corruption or something like that?

We had these problems at least since 1.4.0.

Thanks for any hints or insights.

Thomas

Post subject: Re: sqlite on webOS is unreliable
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:18 am 

sidamos wrote:
HI!

Has anyone else noticed database corruptions or other "strange" things happen to their sql databases?

For example, we have NOT NULL constraints on most columns in our database. Yet, we have seen databases from users, where there were NULLs in those columns! How is that possible? Then, when the rows are updated, sqlite throws a constraint error.

Also, we had at least one case, where a complete table was suddenly missing.

Please see also here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6546

Unfortunately, we never had such problems with the databases on our phones or emulators. So, we cannot reproduce it. We only see it, when users report a problem.

We are using "ext:" prefix to put the database on the media partition. Maybe that is the problem? FAT32 filesystem corruption or something like that?

We had these problems at least since 1.4.0.

Thanks for any hints or insights.

Thomas

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:20 pm 

I had this issue a LONG time ago. At the time, I was creating a new connection to the database on every scene. On occasion, a scene would be popped and a slight delay would cause two connections, and thus a corrupted database. Very rare, but it happened.

I move over to a global object holding the database connection, and the problem magically disappeared. Rookie mistake.

Are you creating a new object on each scene?

Never had the null issue.

* FlashCards & FlashCards Lite
* ZIP Code Tools
* WhitePages
* Mobile Florist

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:15 am 

Thanks for sharing this information.

In fact, you are right. We really had one connection per scene, sometimes even per class. We suspected, that could be a problem (but we never read about that), so we changed it to one global connection in the last version. But there still are corrupted databases out there, I guess.

What kind of corruptions did you have?

How did you fix corrupted databases?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 pm 

I am unsure what kind of corruption, as I never got detailed info from these individuals that experienced it. No fix really for it either other than deleting and reinstalling the app. My solution was to simply move it over to the singular connection. From that moment on, I have not received a report of a corrupted database from a user. With 80,000+ active users, I am sure I would have heard something by now if they did experience it.

* ZIP Code Tools
* WhitePages
* Mobile Florist

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:57 pm 

See now, if everyone had read my book you'd know this ;) LOL

I found this same thing out the hard way while writing my book... I remember a few hours' worth of hair-pulling as a result! I pointed it out to the reader in an effort to save others from premature, self-induced balding :)

Practical Ext JS Projects with Gears,
Practical Dojo Projects,
Practical DWR 2 Projects,
Practical JavaScript, DOM Scripting & Ajax Projects
For info (and more): zammetti.com

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:13 pm 

Can someone put up a simple IPK that shows this corruption problem using multiple connections? I just talked with engineering, and they know of one possible issue with SQLite 3.6.20 that could have been fixed in a newer version, but they'd really like a test case.

You can either post a URL to the IPK here or send me a PM.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:04 pm 

I could send you an older version of my app that did this. I personally could not duplicate this issue, but several users could. You would have to work with it for a bit probably before it could be reproduced. Want that?

* ZIP Code Tools
* WhitePages
* Mobile Florist

[ 8 posts ]