[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to get user's phone number?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:01 pm 

I can't seem to find an API to get the user's phone number. Am I missing something or is this not yet included?

Thank you,

Post subject: Re: How to get user's phone number?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:24 pm 

No for security reasons this has not been made available. If you need a unique identifier use the nduid
http://developer.palm.com/index.php?opt ... erties-Get

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:35 pm 

I can see the argument for that, but it is available on all other phones:

And WebOS has accessors for your address book which has lots of phone numbers in it...

The reason we want it is to use it as a provisioning mechanism so that if the user breaks or changes their phone for whatever reason, they don't necessarily need to know anything special, just their phone number. We would also need to handle if their phone number changes, but with carriers allowing practically painless number swapping now, the instances of that should be minor.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:35 pm 

enda.mcgrath wrote:
No for security reasons this has not been made available.
Security reasons? I humbly disagree. Your phone number is unique to the phone and sometimes you need that for account purposes. For instance, what if I have an application that syncs with a server that sends out SMS notifications for certain, urgent things (especially since Mojo Messaging isn't enabled for us yet). What you're saying is that the user would have to enter their phone number into the application.

No other mobile operating system does this. Windows Mobile? Allowed. BlackBerry? Allowed. iPhone OS? Allowed (even though Apple locks down everything, they still let you get the phone number).

Sorry but there are no, valid "security reasons" for not allowing this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:04 pm 

KrisSiegel wrote:
Sorry but there are no, valid "security reasons" for not allowing this.

"Here download my free minesweeper game." (Game app secretly uploads the user's phone number and/or contact list to a server in Russia in the background.)

What I expect we'll see eventually is a way to confirm access to private info, though I really can't imagine the user who can't handle simply typing in their phone number to subscribe to a service, considering that that's what they already have to do on every desktop web service that uses SMS notification.

nasplrex.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:41 pm 

SmokeSerpent wrote:
"Here download my free minesweeper game." (Game app secretly uploads the user's phone number and/or contact list to a server in Russia in the background.)
The only, sanctioned, applications will be available via the app catalog which go through a review. Even if Palm misses this, others won't and it'll get pulled real quick.

Besides, you can already access the entire contact list so what does it matter if one more number is exposed?
SmokeSerpent wrote:
I really can't imagine the user who can't handle simply typing in their phone number to subscribe to a service, considering that that's what they already have to do on every desktop web service that uses SMS notification.
Erm, no one said they couldn't but it provides a bad user experience. The less input they have to do the better especially on a phone that should already know its own phone number.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:49 pm 

You can't access the contact list, except for items that are added to it from within the same app that wants to access them.

As for Palm vetting the code that's submitted to the catalog, you do have a point, though we don't yet know to what degree they will be doing so.

Considering the framework is HTML+javascript, and the possibility that they could have easily overlooked some eval() loophole or similar and wound up shipping a terribly insecure phone, Palm apparently chose to err severely on the side of safety with regard to many of these things. That doesn't mean we won't have this kind of access within apps eventually, and possibly even soon, it just means they are proceeding cautiously.

nasplrex.com

[ 7 posts ]