[ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Upgrade Palm Pre to WebOS 2 ?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:49 am 

Is there or will there be an upgrade for Palm Pre (original and plus) to WebOS 2, and is so when?

Post subject: Re: Upgrade Palm Pre to WebOS 2 ?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:33 pm 

Danneman wrote:
Is there or will there be an upgrade for Palm Pre (original and plus) to WebOS 2, and is so when?

It has been stated by Palm on many occasions (over 5) that ALL past Palm devices that ran webOS would get the update to webOS 2.0

When: "In the coming months" as they have said.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:52 am 

arthurthornton wrote:
Danneman wrote:

It has been stated by Palm on many occasions (over 5) that ALL past Palm devices that ran webOS would get the update to webOS 2.0

When: "In the coming months" as they have said.

And now it isn't going to happen.

http://ws.palm.com/WebOsChecker/serialnumberinitial.htm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:03 am 

How to upgrade..from
PALM PRE 1.4.5 GSM phone to Pre 2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:38 am 

Mhmm, simple:

- Go in a retail-shop or in a internet-shop, select the Pre2
- Add it in your shopping basket
- Pay at the till
- Boom! You got a shiny new Pre2!

Sorry, for sarcasm, but what answer do you expect? Get it as a gift? Why? Your Pre with 1.4.5 runs fine, even if it will not get a webOS 2.x OS. And I assume that was the reason why you asked. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:02 am 

alvinpradeep wrote:
How to upgrade..from
PALM PRE 1.4.5 GSM phone to Pre 2

There are a number of posts on Precentral from people that have been able to obtain a copy of WebOS 2.0 and install it on a Sprint Pre. The Sprint Pre will run it, but seems to lack some of the horsepower to make it smooth, at least from what I've read. Some have discussed clocking the processor to 600mhz but since there is not kernal that will work with Govnah to overclock it faster, I'm not sure how effective 2.0 would be.

If a kernal could be developed that would work on 2.0 for the specific hardware of the Sprint Pre, then maybe. I have yet to see anyone discuss 2.0 on a Pre Plus, but I might have missed it. I wonder if the extra RAM of the Plus would help, I think it might make some impact.

Wife => Palm Centro Daughter => Palm Pixi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:15 pm 

It has been stated many times by HP folks. They thought they were going to be able to do it, but due to the complexity of resizing partitions and other technical issues, WebOS 2.0 will not be distributed for anything older than the Pre2.

It sucks. It is what it is. There is a transition going on from what the Pre WAS, to the future of what WebOS will be. It will be painful, (especially if you have failing hardware on Sprint), but it is what we got.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:49 pm 

Shocking..

That's all I can really say..

resizing partitions has nothing to do with it..
technical and horsepower -- minimal. They could optimize it, and it would be fine.

As for buying a Pre2.

I give. I'm on Verizon, so I'm lucky enough to have a Pre2 available to me..
(Did the fallacious commenters even consider that not everyone has access to a Pre2?)

So, yes, buying a new Pre2 is easy.. if you send me money, as i've not the budget for a new personal device at this point in my life. Or just put it in your shopping cart and i'll give you my shipping address, as you prefer.
Greatly appreciated, THANKS in advance!

Runnin a frankenPre2 on Big Red (Vz). webOS--my first smartphone, and first proper mobile phone in years!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:18 pm 

sanaking wrote:
technical and horsepower -- minimal. They could optimize it, and it would be fine.

Unfortunately, resizing partitions is not easy via OTA. The decision has been made to not put resources towards a less optimal solution. Frankly, I can't blame them. I don't want 2.0 on my Pre, I want a Pre3. What ever they can do to get new phones to market fastest is what I want.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:30 am 

sacherjj wrote:
sanaking wrote:

Unfortunately, resizing partitions is not easy via OTA. The decision has been made to not put resources towards a less optimal solution. Frankly, I can't blame them. I don't want 2.0 on my Pre, I want a Pre3. What ever they can do to get new phones to market fastest is what I want.

While I agree that it stinks for Pre and Pre + users, it does make sense. Android does the same thing toward older devices.

It would be nice if H/Palm would release a special edition of 2.0 for web delivery (similar to old Treo updates) that included some of the fixes needed for 1.4.5. It could be marketed as the final upgrade for older webOS devices.

Wife => Palm Centro Daughter => Palm Pixi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:46 pm 

I think the biggest thing we devs are concerned with is that the 2.x was more than just features and minor "preatys" It is a matter of dev for webos using the 2.x sdk gave us devs an audience of Thousands on Thousands of EXISTING possible customers.

Those are no longer possible customers unless we keep 2 versions of our apps going.... one branch for the 1.4.x crowd and one for the upcoming devices.

The easiest way I can think of to prevent dev and kill a market place is to PROmote backword compatability of devices that are not yet available, while preventing existing customer money to flow into the eco system.... and require the whole market to decide if your future is worth BETTING on.... it makes your product seem like a RISK. And it makes people have to THINK about if you are worth investing in...

Heck even Microsoft came out with a 2007 compatability pack so users of long abandoned office xp(2002) and 2003 could use documents in the newer format on the older platform until the newest could come out..... BRING ALONG THE FLOCK when you lead in a new direction. Yes there has to be an eventual cut off... but you SHOULDNT do it while the new solution is not yet available....

Use the arch nemesis as an example.... Apple. They are nutorious for cutting off support for older versions of OSX.... but never until there was a stable established HARDWARE upgrade path available FOR SALE IN RETAIL channels!!!

HP: suck it up... if it has to be a webos doctor kind of a solution even... we old palmers TAKE care of eachother.... our spouses, children, and neighbors who have had the "love of webos" proclaimed to them will be happy to allow us to "backup" their info and apply a new upgrade to webos to thier devices....(as long as we make sure their data is safe).... THIS would be IDEAL anyway because Doctoring the device WIPES it.... you wont have OTA upgrade incompatability or data preservation issues to deal with... and a Newly wiped device is ALWAYS faster than one that has had 1-3 years worth of "stuff" accumulated on it!

Then let the WebOS Internals people who HP just donated a sweet server with specs of LEGEND.... at it with custom kernals that will make those older devices shine for 6-12 more months while you get your new hardware in order and ready for the market.

WE ARE BEGGING YOU TO KEEP US LOYAL..... we don't want to be treated like "step children" of your new wife (palm) We expect you to open your heart and home to us and LOVE us like we were your own Children (customers).

DO THAT and you will have us not only "eating out of your hand" again... you will have us telling EVERYONE about WebOS and how great hp is..... Be the Knight on White horse Paladin Romantic Savior of Palm.... Not the Rich uncle that could careless other than to run the affairs of our dearly departed "mother" (palm) whose name you have taken off of everything except the touchstone at your feb 9 demo.... and whose name is now only a foot note on the web site other than still being at the top of this dev page (for now)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:05 am 

The main issue for me is that unless Enyo is supported on old Pre/Pre+/Pixi/Pixi+ that these phones will be completely cut off from the application ecosystem. Who in their right mind would consider developing in Mojo anymore. I don't expect future high-horsepower 3D games to work on my Sprint Pre- but I do expect that my phone be able to run new versions of most apps (such as Facebook, Bad Kitty, Pandora, etc) and lower horsepower PDK games. WebOS 2.0 was also supposed to provide simple usability enhancements such as improved "application category pages", favorites in the dialer, contact list integration in applications, etc... Surely these sort of enhancements don't require a 1GHz processor and would run fine with a 500MHz cpu. Don't get me wrong I want to have what was promised... that being the full WebOS 2 with flash. But removing the old phones from the application ecosystem is simply unacceptable... It's apps that make a platform. After a year and half the application catalog is still not that extensive but my under-contract (1.5 years more) Sprint-Pre will soon stop seeing updates of apps that have moved on to Enyo. I understand that someday Palm will have to EOL my device but it is simply inexcusable to EOL devices that were being sold just a few months ago with the promise of a OS upgrade. Apple didn't EOL the original iPhone until after a few years and 2 major OS upgrades.

I started cutting my teeth and started to write an app but I don't see how it worth my time with all the instability, and I suspect loss of customers, this has caused. I have a full time IT day-job and would have done this with my free time which doesn't afford me the time to try to effectively learn both Mojo, which will soon die, and Enyo which is in alpha and has virtually no customer base to sell to. A smooth transition should have be planned for in advance and announced last week rather than try to "Make Things Right" after alienating your loyal customers many, like I, who bought a Palm device because I wanted to support Palm even though I knew the cheaper Android phone I could have bought had more and better applications.

I've been a Palm fan for over 10 years and have continually owned a device of theirs. But unless Palm quickly communicates with their users and fixes this in a satisfactory way my Pre will be my last WebOs device. Please PALM give me a reason to stay a fan.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:00 am 

Actually, in my opinion it still makes sense to develop apps with Mojo. Enyo will not be available on phones (on any phones) until later this year, which could probably be 6-9 months from now. But Mojo apps that you develop today will run today on current devices and at least until the end of the year on future devices. They will run fine on all phones, just not so nice on the tablet.

You should read this:
http://pdnblog.palm.com/2011/02/mojo-an ... rtunities/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:06 pm 

I'm continuing to develop a planned App in Mojo and, on my down time, I tinker with learning Enyo. This gives me the opportunity to learn more about webOS, get the kinks out of my app and better tailor it to my customers. I'm able to address webOS 2.x with the emulator (well, most of it!) and my doctored developer Pre+. I'm sure there are many more sales to be had on Mojo devices.

I expect that when I'm done, there will be yet a further release of Enyo then its a matter of changing the code to Enyo and I won't waste as much time getting my App to something I envision because a good part of that will be done except for trying to use many of Enyo's great features.

Your Photo Show
Desk Assistant Pro
Desk Assistant
Call Me!
Household Converter
Household Converter Lite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:29 am 

Here's the trail of events, in order:

http://www.phonenews.com/hp-palm-webos- ... ion-15940/

(There are inaccuracies in some understanding of the chain of events, I'm only sharing this link to help correct some of those inaccurate understandings above)... I'd quote the article but that might infringe on their copyrights.

Post subject: Good news!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:27 pm 

Hey Everyone!

Did a quick scan of the posts so sorry if this has already been covered, but there is hope for those of us still on a Pre- / Pre+ for running webOS 2.x :) .. like a lot of you, I'm holding out for a Pre3 but still want to be able to use 2.x in the meantime..

I have a O2 Pre- fused with the motherboard of a Verizon Pre+ and have webOS 2.1 running smoothly on it :) I think the CSS transitions / Hardware acceleration that wasn't in webOS 1.4.x makes a tonne of difference .. even on the older hardware. It runs buttery smooth! Although the hardware is dated, it did seem that software optimization via GPU acceleration could have made the Pre-/Pre+ run so much better ... after all, the specs of the Pre- are very similar to the iPhone 3GS and that ran very well..

Anyways, what you'll need to do is download the webOS 2.1 doctor that has been released for the O2 Pre+ and then apply meta-doctor to modify it so that it will flash onto another Pre. Just head on over to PreCentral and you'll find the info you need rather quickly... wasn't sure if posting links here was allowed!

Also, just a note to those curious, this method does not involve re-distributing HP-Palm code, nor does it allow for installation on non-Palm device.. so it should not violate any copyright / user agreements.

[ 16 posts ]