[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Palm Pre 2 DevMode Not Recognized
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:43 am 

I recently received my Palm Pre 2 and I'm having a problem getting my computer to recognize that I've put it in developer mode. I went to the phone app and typed "#*DEVMODE#" and a card appears saying I was now in developer mode (toggle button said "ON"). However, it did not automatically reset like I thought it would. So I did a manual reset. I plug in my usb cable and answer the question "just charge." However, my PC says device not found when I try to install an app. I created an app in Ares that worked on the emulator, so I closed the emulator and plugged in my Palm Pre 2, but device not found. Finally, I went to a DOS window and typed "palm-install -d usb -l" and get device not found.

I successfully installed several apps on my Palm Pre, but now cannot do it on my Palm Pre 2.

Post subject: Re: Palm Pre 2 DevMode Not Recognized
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:47 am 

allenpre wrote:
However, my PC says device not found when I try to install an app. I created an app in Ares that worked on the emulator, so I closed the emulator and plugged in my Palm Pre 2, but device not found. Finally, I went to a DOS window and typed "palm-install -d usb -l" and get device not found.

It looks like your Pre 2 isn't in developer mode. (It's a seperate function from the activation bypass, even though the latter calls the former automatically.)

Bring up the dev mode enabler, and try setting it to "off" and then "on" again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:31 am 

Turning devmode on and off does not seem to have any effect. However, I looked at my device manager and it shows an error for novacom. I uninstalled the driver and connected my Palm Pre 2 again and got another error for the novacom driver. Windows 7 cannot seem to find this driver.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:36 am 

this is likely a problem with the novacom driver that need to be updated to recognize the Pre2:

see here:

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=10100&p=50967&hilit=novacom#p50967

and here:

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=9094&p=47382&hilit=novacom#p47382

webOS Apps: Moo, Toot, AnimalMemory, SBB Fahrplan Beta, Tuts+, MigrosFinder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:56 pm 

Thanks! It's working now. I downloaded the *.jar file (webos doctor?) and executed it. It installed the novacom driver and then asked me to attach my phone the computer. I did and the device manager said the novacom driver was successfully installed. Yea! It tried then to reset my phone (I don't know why) but the webos doctor aborted after about 15 minutes and said to call palm support. But, I'm happy as I can now put apps on my Palm Pre 2.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:53 pm 

allenpre wrote:
Thanks! It's working now. I downloaded the *.jar file (webos doctor?) and executed it. It installed the novacom driver and then asked me to attach my phone the computer. I did and the device manager said the novacom driver was successfully installed. Yea! It tried then to reset my phone (I don't know why) but the webos doctor aborted after about 15 minutes and said to call palm support. But, I'm happy as I can now put apps on my Palm Pre 2.

The webOS Doctor is a reset tool. It completely wipes your device to factory conditions. That would be why it tried to reset your device.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:43 pm 

Hi long time developer--1st time on webOS.
I JUST got a Palm Pre2 (GSM) recently (LOVE IT!) and I wanted to test my app.
First thing was to update to webOS 2.1 on the phone.

I'm running Windows7 (basic)
webOS 2.1 on Pre2 GSM
and continued to get the dreaded
palm install device not found.
Worked perfectly on the virtual box emulator
I could NOT get it to work on my Pre2

FINALLY I found someone (see link below) who suggested it was the novacom
drivers I figured that it couldn't get any worse (well it could have, but I was out of options). Anyway

UPDATING THE NOVACOM DRIVERS WORKED!!!!!
After I updated the drivers I ran from the command line. It found my Pre2, and installed.
Also, I'm sure that everyone else knew this, but I had to then "launch" to my device.
I guess I expected that I would see the icon there--but in case there are any noobs like me ...

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-internals/278218-new-novacom-driver-installer.html

Shout out to this guy ... saved my sanity ...

[ 7 posts ]