[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cannot install app on Palm Pre 2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:19 am 

I'm getting ready to launch my app for the palm pre. However, I can't load the ipk file onto my palm pre. I can load it into the emulator.

I am using a Mac, I installed the SDK and PDK 1.4.5. The palm's OS version is 2.1. I tried using a PC and a MAC. Neither worked. Mac is my primary machine.

I got it to work before on another PC but it no longer works (had to install devetool.jar). I tried erasing everything on the phone. I tried reinstalling the SDK. I have the latest novacom driver. When I type palm-install com.appname, it gives me no devices found.

I enrolled in the early access program. I can't open the .dmg file.

This is seriously frustrating me. What do I do?

I develop for iOS, Android and blackberry. I consider Blackberry the worst for developers and this experience is making feel like Palm is worst than that. This issue needs to be addressed. I love webOS but it shouldn't be this hard for developers to install an app.

Post subject: Re: Cannot install app on Palm Pre 2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:27 am 

It's not normally that hard. Normally, it's as simple as putting your phone in developer mode (which is way more convenient on the Pre 2 than on legacy devices) and running two commands to package your app and install it.

However, earlier today I was experiencing problems installing apps on the Pre 2 using palm-install. It would just hang on palm-install and I would have to force quit. I restarted the Pre 2 and that fixed the problem.

You did mention you're using the 1.4.5 SDK though, and the novacom drivers for 1.4.5 will not work on the Pre 2 (or webOS 2.x). One way to get updated novacom drivers that will work on the Pre 2 is to run the webOS doctor for Pre 2 with your device NOT connected. Once you get to the part where the doctor won't continue until it detects a Pre 2 connected to your computer, you can close the doctor and try to install apps again.

It should be easy once again after Palm releases the 2.0 SDK.

because until something is actually announced, it doesn't exist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:45 am 

I had this happen to me a couple weeks ago -- Enable Dev Mode.

Type webos20090606 and enable. Drove me nuts for a while as it was a fresh doctor and I usually leave dev mode enabled. The error notices should hint that you check for dev mode...

* FlashCards & FlashCards Lite
* ZIP Code Tools
* WhitePages
* Mobile Florist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:18 pm 

I have already enabled Dev mode. I did it twice, once using webOS20090606 and once using the konami code leftleftrightrightupdownupdownbashstart.

It dosen't ask me to restart after I turn it on though.

I have tried using webOS doctor. webOS installs and then it stalls at the point where it is waiting for me to connect the device. It won't detect my palm pre 2.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:37 pm 

krumjahn wrote:
I have tried using webOS doctor. webOS installs and then it stalls at the point where it is waiting for me to connect the device. It won't detect my palm pre 2.

My recommendation was from the instructions to install Preware on a webOS 2.x device. You can see the instructions here:

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Pre ... _webOS_2.0

You can substitute Preware for your own app, the instructions should still work.

because until something is actually announced, it doesn't exist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:33 am 

I followed your steps to install preware. I downloaded webOS doctor 2.0.1. I followed the instructions, disconnect phone, run webOS doctor then plug in device. I did that and it still does not recognize my Palm Pre 2.

Any other suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:48 am 

Turning on and off developer mode doesn't require a reboot on webOS 2.0 and later.

You really need to install the early access SDK. The novacom drivers in the 1.4.5 SDK won't talk to the Pre 2. If you're having a problem opening the DMG file from the early access SDK, please post about it in the EA forum.

[ 7 posts ]