[ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Best move ever!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:25 pm 

Wow, just wow! Everything is SOLD OUT. WebOS gains hundreds of thousand new users practically overnight. Many of them will LOVE it and they'll buy new webOS HW once HP finds their HW partner(s).

Not bad HP, not bad!

Guys, this isn't the end. It's only the beginning.

Post subject: Re: Best move ever!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:47 pm 

mapara wrote:
Wow, just wow! Everything is SOLD OUT. WebOS gains hundreds of thousand new users practically overnight. Many of them will LOVE it and they'll buy new webOS HW once HP finds their HW partner(s).

Not bad HP, not bad!

Very happy that they did this. While it may have been out of necessity, it definitely has the side effect of helping us out while we wait for news.

And, in the absolute worst case scenario where webOS shrivels up, people are working on getting Android on it.

Most definitely keeping my TouchPad now.

Aaron Toth
aaront.me

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:58 pm 

mapara wrote:

Not bad HP, not bad!

This is a joke?! Really sold out? Why?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:02 pm 

simpfu wrote:
mapara wrote:

Not bad HP, not bad!

The 16GB TouchPad is now being sold at $99 and the 32GB TouchPad is being sold at $149 in the US and Canada. Much less than even the parts inside.

http://www.precentral.net/hp-begins-tou ... 32gb-149-1

Aaron Toth
aaront.me

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:11 pm 

simpfu wrote:
mapara wrote:

Not bad HP, not bad!

USA:
* HP Home & Office - 16 GB (Sold Out)
* HP Home & Office - 32 GB (Sold Out)
* PC Richard (Sold Out)
* Target (Sold Out)
* Sam's Club (Sold Out)
* Office Depot (Sold Out) (apply 942099541 for free $15 giftcard for lunch. Good for subway/panera bread/burger king)
* Walmart (Sold Out for online shipping, choose your local store to see if it's available for instore pickup)
* MicroCenter - 16 GB(Sold Out)
* MicroCenter - 32 GB(Sold Out)

Canada:
* Best Buy Canada (Sold Out)
* FutureShop (owned by BBY) (Sold Out)

Forum thread on Slickdeals had more than 1 mil views in 5 hours - people were buying 3-5 TPs, some of them even 20 or more. HP promo starts (officially) today, but as you can see everything is pretty much sold out.

BestBuy's still sitting on 200+k TPs and says they won't pricematch, but I think they will eventually. I don't know how many were sold over night, but my guess is ... more than 300k. Much much more actually. And there's plenty more... Hope they will sell 1 mil (at least) this weekend. ;)

So they went from maybe 70k user base to hundreds of thousands in like 24 hours. Much better place to be if you're talking with potential HW partners.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:06 pm 

HP will likely take back BB's inventory and sell it through HP's on-line outlet. The silver lining is that there will be a decent installed base of Touchpads to support developers for the next six months.

I'm thinking some midnight oil is being or has been burned in Sunnyvale to create proof-of-concept demos for Tegra 2/3 devices (hopefully, Samsung). HP can offer discounted patent protection, since it owns both the smartphone patent and applied for the tablet patent before Apple. This will be a non-exclusive licensing deal (no HP logo'ed devices), but HP could help sell through its end-user sales force. How this plays out will be fascinating indeed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:55 pm 

I can't help but think it would have been best for them to do more of a console game model -- sell the hardware at a slight loss but make it up on the software.

The Touchpad would have sold very well at price points of $199 or $249 for the 16GB and $249 or $299 for the 32GB. They would have lost money on the hardware, but not all that much in the grand scheme of things.

It's not hard to see how they could make back most or all of their hardware losses if they're taking a 30% cut of every app sold. Much harder to see any recovery of losses if the hardware is almost free. Ahh the joy of hindsight.

I just hope everyone doesn't just load Ubuntu or Android on them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:12 pm 

Even if they cleared out all the inventory on TouchPads that's just a device population of a few hundred thousand, and since we just found out the Pre3 AT&T launch is cancelled there are no new phones coming out with WebOS.

Compare these population numbers with iOS, Android, and there just isn't the same potential for app sales and revenue.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:46 pm 

Xangis wrote:
The Touchpad would have sold very well at price points of $199 or $249 for the 16GB and $249 or $299 for the 32GB. They would have lost money on the hardware, but not all that much in the grand scheme of things.

Agreed: they would have cleaned up at $250 / $300 and maybe $200 for a 7" model. I just got mine the week before last and then took it on vacation with me. I was really surprised at how everybody who saw it really wanted one, just couldn't justify spending $500+ on one.

HP could have continued to make money on accessories and software. And isn't that the model for their printer business? Sell the printers for razor thin margins or below cost and make it up on ink? A $1.2B+ wasted opportunity--presumably because HP has decided it wants to focus on the enterprise and not the consumer.

Enyo apps: WhatWordWhere EE, Good Old Calc, Say This!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:15 am 

mapara wrote:
BestBuy's still sitting on 200+k TPs and says they won't pricematch, but I think they will eventually.

dgdonovan wrote:
HP will likely take back BB's inventory and sell it through HP's on-line outlet.

Told ya:
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Buy-G ... ad-id/3887

:)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:53 am 

This firesale is having a very real effect on one of my app downloads. Went from 10-20 daily downloads to over 500 yesterday, and 100 so far today.

because until something is actually announced, it doesn't exist

[ 11 posts ]