[ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: install PDK apps on unactivated device
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:28 pm 

i got an unactivated AT&T Palm Pre Plus for development and would like to install some FREE apps.
Is there any way to achieve this?
Since it's not activated i can't receive phone calls or text messages so i presume that i can't get apps via the web shop and i also tried to run the "App Catalog" which terminates with the message "The action could not be completed. Try again later?

Is there any other way to install some FREE apps?

Post subject: Re: install PDK apps on unactivated device
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:37 pm 

It works for me i use Wifi, try it a couple of times

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:47 pm 

uhhm no doesn't work for me but maybe it has to do with 1.4.2.
if i'm not mistaken 1.4.5 is not out yet for the Pre Plus with AT&T....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:51 pm 

2drockers wrote:
uhhm no doesn't work for me but maybe it has to do with 1.4.2.
if i'm not mistaken 1.4.5 is not out yet for the Pre Plus with AT&T....

Let's hope, it would not make sense to have the Palm store just work on the
Palm Pre Radio.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:43 pm 

The App Catalog (which is also used for web/beta apps) requires an active Palm Profile, even for free apps, and creating a profile requires an activated device. Sorry -- we know it's an issue, but we don't have a fix right now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:56 am 

uh i see.
thanks for the info though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:42 pm 

You can use the meta doctor to bypass the activation. Then, you can turn on wifi and and run the first use app and create your profile. This is what I did. However, it is unsupported by Palm.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:35 pm 

well that sounds like the workaround i was looking for ;-)

i didn't find the app on my screen but via SSH on the phone.
but how do i run it?
./app gave me a "permission denied"
is there a command i need to prepend to run the app?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:36 am 

Here's the steps that worked for me. My dev device is an off-contract Sprint Pre. It came with 1.4.5 on it already, and all I did before starting development was run the activation bypass utility. But at that point I had no app store access. To get the app store working:

1) Turn on WiFi and make sure you can get to the interwebs.
2) Plug in device and tap "just charge" (i.e. don't go to USB drive mode)
3) On your host PC (I'm on Windows), at a command prompt, type:

palm-launch com.palm.app.firstuse

to launch the first use app. Create your Palm profile and go through the location services stuff and gesture tutorial. I guess the app doesn't teach new users how to dismiss apps, so at the end it is just sitting there full-screen, saying "Have Fun.". Just dismiss the "Have Fun" card.

4) Start up the app store. I still got a "this action cannot be completed" message. From the top left app catalog menu, I went into Preference & Accounts & entered my Palm profile password. I didn't enter credit card info yet as I'm just downloading free apps for now. I had to close and re-start the app store for it to let me see the free apps. You may have to experiment at this stage. The key seems to be to have run the first-use app, so that you have a Palm profile. You may have to enter its password again when you start the app catalog, and close and re-start the catalog; just experiment. Maybe it'll work on every launch if you enter your credit card information.

Edit: Have still not entered credit card info but have downloaded a couple free apps. Still getting yellow triangle of doom "This action cannot be completed" from time to time. Just have to dismiss the card and re-start the app catalog; keep trying. Don't forget to keep your WiFi on.

Its intermittent cooperation may be the reason why Palm isn't supporting it officially at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:51 pm 

This did not work for me at all. It pops up, and trys to call the verizon activation number. Then fails.

philip@ozeta.org

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:57 pm 

ozetadev wrote:
This did not work for me at all. It pops up, and trys to call the verizon activation number. Then fails.

My experience was with a Sprint phone so maybe Verizon did something different with your phone.

But, did you run the activation bypass utility before trying to run the first use app?
And did you confirm (by e.g. loading a web page in your browser) that you had a path to the internet through wifi?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:06 pm 

Yeah I did.

philip@ozeta.org

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:23 pm 

ozetadev wrote:
Yeah I did.

Making a note to myself not to get a Verizon unit if I ever have to replace the current Sprint unit...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:39 am 

I can say this does work with AT&T devices, though I found it a pain to get to work (I tried the meta-doctor several times and finally gave up and tried something like this).

If you received a free phone from Palm, it was an AT&T device and should work with this.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:10 am 

arthurthornton wrote:
If you received a free phone from Palm, it was an AT&T device and should work with this.

Can you explain to what you're referring?

I've gotten an unactivated Pre Plus for AT&T from Palm. I try to use the meta doctor on it, but it cannot see the phone i.e. the Next button stays greyed out

The phone stays in the initial profile setup screen, and nothing changed when the usb is connected.

Any ideas?

webOS Apps: My webOS Apps, Flickr Mundo, Flickr Addict, Flickr Addict Lite, CelText, CelText Pro, Irish Rain, InstaCall, Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:28 am 

arthurthornton wrote:
I can say this does work with AT&T devices, though I found it a pain to get to work (I tried the meta-doctor several times and finally gave up and tried something like this).

Nope. My free phone from palm was a verizon one, as requested.

philip@ozeta.org

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:01 pm 

shaneosullivan wrote:
arthurthornton wrote:
I've gotten an unactivated Pre Plus for AT&T from Palm. I try to use the meta doctor on it, but it cannot see the phone i.e. the Next button stays greyed out

The phone stays in the initial profile setup screen, and nothing changed when the usb is connected.

Any ideas?

Have you tried to hold the volume-up button while plugging the cable in and turning the device on? (So you see the big USB icon) Meta-Doctor worked fine for me on an AT&T Pixi, just don't forget to edit the make file so you bypass the first-use app.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:12 pm 

shaneosullivan wrote:
arthurthornton wrote:

Any ideas?

With my AT&T device I did the Palm bypass activation tool (http://developer.palm.com/index.php?opt ... le&id=2051). In that article there is a section "Booting into Recovery Mode".
1. Plug the USB cable into your computer. Do not connect the other end to your device yet.
2. Remove the battery from the device.
3. Hold down the device's volume up button.
4. Insert the USB cable into the device.
5. Re-insert the battery.
6. Release the volume up button.

After the reboot from bypass activation the phone is in developer mode and you can run the first-use app through novacom. I found with AT&T Pre Plus I needed *any* SIM card in the slot to get past the 'no SIM card' warning and into the meat of the first-use app where you set up Palm profile. I used a Prepaid T-Mobile SIM card. It seems I need to leave it in or the phone reboots itself to the 'No SIM card' warning.

App Catalog would not download anything until I adjusted the date and time on the device to be current. Then the apps I had selected downloaded just fine. I had to update the device to get any sweet PDK apps. I also went as far as buying paid apps and it worked.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:10 pm 

Markpowers wrote:
shaneosullivan wrote:
arthurthornton wrote:

Any ideas?

With my AT&T device I did the Palm bypass activation tool (http://developer.palm.com/index.php?opt ... le&id=2051). In that article there is a section "Booting into Recovery Mode".
1. Plug the USB cable into your computer. Do not connect the other end to your device yet.
2. Remove the battery from the device.
3. Hold down the device's volume up button.
4. Insert the USB cable into the device.
5. Re-insert the battery.
6. Release the volume up button.

After the reboot from bypass activation the phone is in developer mode and you can run the first-use app through novacom. I found with AT&T Pre Plus I needed *any* SIM card in the slot to get past the 'no SIM card' warning and into the meat of the first-use app where you set up Palm profile. I used a Prepaid T-Mobile SIM card. It seems I need to leave it in or the phone reboots itself to the 'No SIM card' warning.

App Catalog would not download anything until I adjusted the date and time on the device to be current. Then the apps I had selected downloaded just fine. I had to update the device to get any sweet PDK apps. I also went as far as buying paid apps and it worked.

I did something similar, but I edited the source of the first use app similar to what webOS Internals says to do at http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Pat ... Activation before I tried running it.

[ 19 posts ]