[ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: Enable networking in the emulator?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:44 am 

I'm trying to customize an existing website for webOS. For this I need to access a web server inside my office (domain) network. However, I'm unable to access any website from the emulator.

Does any one have any tips on how to enable network access in the emulator?

-Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Enable networking in the emulator?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:54 pm 

If you installed Virutabox and the Palm SDK correctly, they'll have networking.

Remember that WebOS is Linux, and thus doesn't participate in "Windows networking". You may need to enter your IP addresses by hand.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:37 am 

Well, I followed the instructions to the letter but no luck. I've tried changing the settings to bridged, NAT etc but nothing.

Additionally, is there a way I can initiate the command line in webOS to enable DHCP?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:45 pm 

I have the same problem and it is bringing my development to a slow crawl...

Please any help troubleshooting and fixing my problem?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:45 pm 

abjbhat wrote:
Well, I followed the instructions to the letter but no luck. I've tried changing the settings to bridged, NAT etc but nothing.

Additionally, is there a way I can initiate the command line in webOS to enable DHCP?

You can access a terminal for the emulator using the following command line (make sure no webOS device is connected to your machine before running this):
Code:
novacom -t open tty://

From there, you can verify/change the IP configuration by using ifconfig, dhclient, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:00 pm 

Discovered, for my issue, it is related to work firewall, as internal websites load.

Does anyone know how to enable a proxy for the emulator in windows?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:54 pm 

We should have some good news shortly regarding proxy support in the emulator... stay tuned!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:55 am 

If you have the 3.0b1 SDK installed, try typing the following (in a single line command) in a device shell (novaterm or putty):
Code:
luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.connectionmanager/configureNwProxies '{"action":"add","proxyInfo":{"proxyScope":"default","proxyServer":"web-proxy.corp.hp.com","proxyPort":8080}}'

To disable the proxy, type:
Code:
luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.connectionmanager/configureNwProxies '{"action":"rmv","proxyInfo":{"proxyScope":"default","proxyServer":"web-proxy.corp.hp.com","proxyPort":8080}}'

Of course, you'll want to supply your own server info in place of "proxy.corp.hp.com" unless you happen to be working on the internal HP network. :-)
--Steve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:28 pm 

anybody know what json to add to specify a username and password?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:58 am 

Hello guys

when I did the same thing in putty, I got following error:

{"returnValue":false,"errorCode":-1,"errorText":"Unknown method \"configureNwProxies\" for category \"/\""}

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:40 pm 

this error msg seems to come from a pre-3.x SDK emulator

Steve, any idea how to enable the proxy on webOS 1.4.5 and 2.1.x emulators?
Thx!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:32 am 

chrisill wrote:
Steve, any idea how to enable the proxy on webOS 1.4.5 and 2.1.x emulators?

Proxy support is only supported in the 3.0 (and later) emulators since it was first added to webOS for 3.0. I will check and see if might also be available in the 2.2 (Pre3) emulator that is in early access, but I wouldn't expect to see an updated 1.4.5 or 2.1.0 image with proxy support.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:51 pm 

nohorse wrote:
anybody know what json to add to specify a username and password?

I too would like to know this. I have tried for the username the following json's with no luck:

proxyUsername
proxyUserName
proxyUser
proxyAccount
poxyName

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:33 pm 

lemketron wrote:
If you have the 3.0b1 SDK installed, try typing the following (in a single line command) in a device shell (novaterm or putty):
Code:
luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.connectionmanager/configureNwProxies '{"action":"add","proxyInfo":{"proxyScope":"default","proxyServer":"web-proxy.corp.hp.com","proxyPort":8080}}'

Code:
luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.connectionmanager/configureNwProxies '{"action":"rmv","proxyInfo":{"proxyScope":"default","proxyServer":"web-proxy.corp.hp.com","proxyPort":8080}}'

Of course, you'll want to supply your own server info in place of "proxy.corp.hp.com" unless you happen to be working on the internal HP network. :-)
--Steve

Thanks Steve! Worked great on my Touchpad using Novaterm.

However, it seems that the mail app ignores the proxy.

Any advice on making this a quick script with an icon that can be run from the Touchpad stand-alone?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:38 am 

lemketron wrote:
Code:

Code:

--Steve

1000x 'fuck-yes!'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:40 am 

gXnIcKb wrote:
lemketron wrote:
Code:

Code:

--Steve

1000x 'fuck-yes!'
Mail seems to work OK, but Apps don't seem to work at the moment.

I had to add this to get Skype to work

file : /var/skypekit/shared.xml

insert before </Connection>

<HttpsProxy>
<Addr>your-proxy:your-port</Addr>
<Enable>1</Enable>
<Pwd></Pwd>
<User></User>
</HttpsProxy>

Not sure if it will be overwritten post device restart yet. I killed the skype process after the modification, and the system restarted it no problem

A way to change the proxy (and change any other files automatically) would be brilliant !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:01 am 

lemketron wrote:
Code:
Code:
Of course, you'll want to supply your own server info in place of "proxy.corp.hp.com" unless you happen to be working on the internal HP network. :-) --Steve

Help! My company has an automatic proxy configuration URL as follows:
Quote:
http://internal.mycompany.com:8080/proxy.pac
With the above instructions, I can specify:
  • "proxyServer":"internal.mycompany.com"
  • "proxyPort":8080
But how do I specify the local path "/proxy.pac" in the proxy URL?

Not this is not an issue for iOS & Android devices, but I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on getting this to work on my Touchpad.
Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:28 am 

I wrote an app to switch proxy access on and off. In order to integrate automatic proxy scripts and proxies with authorization, I would be interested in some sort of documentation/further information about the "com.palm.connectionmanager/configureNwProxies" service.

When I package and run my app in a com.palm.* scope, the communication with the service works perfectly and the proxy server gets added. However, once I package and run my app in a more appropriate scope like com.domain.*, I receive the following error when the app communicates with the service:

{"returnValue":false,"errorCode":-1,"errorText":"Unknown method \"configureNwProxies\" for category \"/\""}

I did some more testing and I think I figured out the reason for this behaviour:

Executing:
Code:
luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.connectionmanager/configureNwProxies '{"action":"add","proxyInfo":{"proxyScope":"default","proxyServer":"128.0.0.1"
,"proxyPort":80}}'

Returns:
Code:
{"returnValue":true}

HOWEVER

Executing:
Code:
luna-send -n 1 -P palm://com.palm.connectionmanager/configureNwProxies '{"action":"add","proxyInfo":{"proxyScope":"default","proxyServer":"128.0.0.1"
,"proxyPort":80}}'

Returns:
Code:

It looks as if the method "configureNwProxies" of the connectionmanager service is not exposed on the public bus. Therefore, I guess an app packaged as com.palm.* has access to the private bus, whereas apps packaged as com.somethingotherthanpalm.* only have access to the public bus.

Since I'm new to webOS development, I would be interested if there is a different way to gain access to the same method on the private bus? If not, then I would probably need to distribute the app as a homebrew app, because hp wouldn't allow me to distribute com.palm.* apps through their App Catalog. Does anybody have experience with distributing homebrew apps? How exactly would I go about that?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:53 am 

I had to add this to get Skype to work

[ 19 posts ]